• Menu

  • Retirement

    Retirement in San Miguel de Allende

    Mail & Shipping Services

    La Conexin. Your all-around communications, packing and shipping center.
    Mailboxes Etc. For people who have special packing needs, Mail Boxes Etc. are specialists in all sorts of items, no matter how big or delicate they might be.

    Patton Insurance Services Steve Patton and Lucha Villalobos, licensed insurance agents, provide all types of insurance including Worldwide Major Medical, Homeowner’s, Renters, Construction, Auto and Business insurance for hotels, stores and others.

    Prescription drug comparison
    The Pharmaceutical Connection.
    Writer Scott Burns compares the prices in San Miguel and the United States for the top 25 prescription drugs in the US. By Scott Burns

    Internet Connection
    Unisono Net offers local dial up, fast connection, web hosting Unisono can get you connected for one month or one year.

    Tipping guide
    Restaurants = 10-15% depending on service
    Household help = one week salary at Christmas
    Bag boy at grocery store = 2-5 pesos
    Taxi – no tip needed unless service was excellent

    Real Estate listings
    Real Estate Directory Check out this full listing of real estate brokers in San Miguel.

    Classified rental ads Rental opportunities posted by owner.

    Metric Conversion
    1 mile = 1.61 kilometers
    1 yard = .91 meter
    1 inch = 2.54 centimeters
    1 pound = .37 kilograms
    1 ounce = 31.1 grams
    1 kilometer = .62 mile
    1 meter = 39.37 inches
    1 centimeter = .39 inch
    1 kilogram = 2.2 pounds
    1 gram = .035 ounce

    Visa Information

    What Visa do you need to visit San Miguel?

    Tourist Visa
    - less than 6 months
    If you are visiting Mexico and staying for less than 6 months, you will need a Tourist visa, or FMT. If you are already in the country and were issued a visa for a shorter period, you can request an extension of the term. You cannot work in Mexico with an FMT visa.

    Where do you get an FMT?
    You can get one at any Mexican Consulate, travel agency, at the border or the airport, depending on your nationality. It is advised to contact a Mexican Consulate for more information.

    How do you extend the term of your FMT?
    You can request an extension of the visa’s term at the Immigration office at Plaza de Real de Conde in Gigante. It is recommended that you request this extension at least 15 days prior to its expiration.

    To extend your visa you should have with you:
    -Your passport and a photocopy
    -The original FMT
    -A letter requesting the extension of term. Keep in mind that upon returning to your country of origin, you must return your FMT visa, so keep it in a safe place. Also, there restrictions for citizens of certain countries, so check with a local Mexican Consulate before making travel plans.

    More than 6 months – FM2 or FM3
    There are two options for a longer stay in Mexico, FM2 and FM3. Consider what you are going to be doing and how long you want to stay in Mexico before applying for one of these visas.

    If you are planning to retire in Mexico, you can apply for either visa, but must prove to authorities that you will be living on income from another country, or from Mexican-based investments. Both visas must be renewed annually, which can be done at the local Immigration office in Gigante. Although some Consulates process visa requests in a few days, you should be prepared to wait up to 30 days for your visa. Both visas allow family members to also apply for the appropriate visas.

    With an FM2 visa you are considered an immigrant not a permanent resident. However, with this visa you are eligible to become a permanent resident. There are restrictions on how often and how long you can leave the country for, so contact your local immigration office for details.

    With an FM3 visa you are allowed to stay in the country as a non-immigrant. You can leave the country as much as you please and you are eligible to work in Mexico.

    Bringing a Car into Mexico
    Mexico has very strict laws about bring cars into the country. There are no restrictions if you are only traveling within 26 km of the U.S. – Mexico border, but to go farther you need to get an importation permit for your vehicle (Permiso de Importacion Temporal de Vehiculos). In the U.S. AAA offices near the border can provide helpful information on this process. Call the office near where you will cross the border, because some offices have different procedures.

    When you arrive at the border you will need certain documents:

    The original and two copies of your title. If there is a lien on the car and you don’t have the original title, you may be able to get from the lien holder a certified copy of the title with a letter giving permission for you to take the car out of the country for a specified period of time.

    Your passport or birth certificate.

    The original and two copies of your immigration paperwork (tourist, work or student visa).

    The original and two copies of your rental or leasing agreement. Keep in mind that many leasing agreements forbid you from taking the car out of the country for more than 30 days without special permission. Call the leasing company for details or permission.

    The original and two copies of the State registration certificate showing the car in your name.

    Mexican car insurance. This can be bought ahead of time or at the border.

    Valid Driver’s License.

    Valid major credit card.

    There are fees involved in getting a car permit, but you should check with border authorities for exact amount. When you are at the border, drive through the “Declarations Lane”, and follow signs for “Car Permits”. The border authorities require either a cash deposit or credit card deposit to ensure that you don’t sell your car while in Mexico. Contact the local AAA office or Mexican border office for the amount and procedure for this deposit.

    Be Sociable, Share!



    Leave a Reply

    Webmaster: Jason Tudisco